Trusts Attorney in Oakland and Walnut Creek, California
A trust is a legal agreement that sets rules for property held for beneficiaries. Trusts have four components:
- Trustmaker: Also known as the grantor, trustor, or settlor, this person creates a trust.
- Trustee: The person who manages the assets of a trust and is responsible for distributing the property in accordance with the terms created by the trustmaker. While the trustmaker is alive, they can also be the trustee.
- Beneficiary: The person or entity who receives the benefits of a trust. The trustmaker can designate him or herself as a beneficiary.
- Assets: The property that is placed into a trust (also known as trust property).
Anybody may set up a trust. If you would like to learn more about trusts, or have specific questions, the Walnut Creek trust attorneys at Vaught & Boutris LLP can help. A lawyer in Walnut Creek or Oakland from our firm can provide services for trusts and estates in Oakland to clients in the following areas:
Trust lawyers in Walnut Creek and Oakland know the laws
To avoid litigation, a Walnut Creek or Oakland trust attorney from Vaught & Boutris should make sure your trusts meet specific requirements, also known as certainties. They are:
- Certainty of intention: A clear intention to create a trust must exist.
- Certainty of subject matter: The property to be held in a trust must be clearly identified. In other words, it must be specific property, such as real estate or cash.
- Certainty of objects: Trust beneficiaries must be clearly defined or ascertainable. There are different tests for certainty of objects depending on whether a trust is fixed or discretionary.
State and federal trust laws are complex. For more information or help interpreting the rules of trust planning and administration, you should consult with one of our Oakland or Walnut Creek trusts attorneys at Vaught & Boutris.
Contact us to speak with Walnut Creek and Oakland trust lawyers
The Walnut Creek and Oakland trusts lawyers at Vaught & Boutris LLP are qualified to provide assistance with many aspects of trusts law, including planning, administration, and litigation. Our trusts attorneys provide superior legal services at cost-effective prices that meet your individual needs. To speak with a trusts lawyer in Walnut Creek or Oakland from our firm, call 510-430-1518 or contact us online