Basil J. Boutris
Basil J. Boutris represents clients in matters involving taxation, bankruptcy, business law, estate planning, and related litigation. Mr. Boutris assists individuals and businesses in tax controversy matters before all federal and state tax authorities. He also does extensive tax and estate planning for his clients to minimize income and estate taxes and protect assets.
Mr. Boutris is a former Vice-Chair of the Executive Committee of the Tax Section of the State Bar of California and is a two-time former Chair of the Santa Clara County Bar Association Tax Section. He is currently serving on the Executive Committee of the Bankruptcy Section for Alameda County. He writes and lectures extensively, and teaches part-time as an adjunct professor in the Masters in Taxation and in the LL.M. in Taxation and Bankruptcy programs at Golden Gate University. He has published articles in The California Tax Lawyer, Continuing Legal Education of the Bar publications, and other prestigious legal journals. Most recently, Mr. Boutris has lectured to various legal professional groups on the legal, tax, and bankruptcy aspects of the mortgage loan meltdown.
Mr. Boutris earned a double B.A. summa cum laude in Economics and Political Science from the University of California, Berkeley. While there, he was a member of the Phi Beta Kappa honor society and earned an academic scholarship as a Regents Scholar. He went on to receive a joint J.D./M.B.A. with highest honors from Berkeley's Boalt School of Law and Haas School of Business Management.
- State Bar of California, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 1986
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, 1986
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California, 1986
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 1986
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California, 1986
- U.S. Tax Court, 1986
- J.D., Boalt Hall School of Law, 1985
- M.B.A., Haas School of Business, 1985
- B.A., summa cum laude, University of California, Berkeley, 1980
- Executive Committee, Bankruptcy Section, Alameda County Bar Association
- Executive Committee, Taxation Section, Alameda County Bar Association 2004-2005
- Vice-Chair, Executive Committee, Taxation Section, State Bar of California, 1997 - 2001
- Former Chair, Taxation Section, Santa Clara Bar Association
- Taxation Section, Contra Costa County Bar Association
- Former Chair, Young Tax Lawyers Committee, Taxation Section, State Bar of California
- Former Chair, Young Tax Lawyers Committee, Santa Clara County Chapter, Taxation Section, State Bar of California
- Editor, partnership section, "Selecting and Forming Business Entities," California Start Up Business Series, by the Continuing Education of the Bar
- Author, Discharging Taxes in Bankruptcy, California Tax Lawyer, Vol. 4, No. 3 (Fall 1994).
Awards and Recognitions
- Selected as a "Super Lawyer" by San Francisco Magazine, 2007-2010